Fondos de Ensueño



....

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Have You Ever Felt Lost?


Started my day sat down reading the Holy Scriptures while remembering times when I felt lost. No, no, no, no buddy I won’t talk about what you’re thinking. There are many ways to get lost and Holy Scriptures is one of them. Of course this varies from nation to nation. There are countries with a broad religious sense in which families regularly read the Holy Scriptures and attend church frequently and there are countries where people rarely read them and only go to church when getting married. There are religions in which members are fervent in faith and the study of the doctrine and there are religions in which members are less fervent than in other churches and within all these groups there are variations that have to do with family traditions and the culture of each family.
Whatever religion, nation and culture are we can see sometimes people coming to church after a long time or for the first time, and it's obvious in their behavior that don’t know how to use the Scriptures; people for whom a note asking him to read something like 1Kgs.3:5-14 or Ps.63:1-8 is a foreign language. Who has never had a supervised reading of the Holy Scriptures may perhaps not understand in what book should search and what verses to read. Nothing that cannot fix who is sitting next to him with a light explanation. Such people learn quickly how to use them and get to handle them with the same skill of the ones who grew up using them and even play with them to write letters in which the content is obtained by reading certain lines of the scriptures mentioned in her.
I remembered, however, a place where I lived long time ago. Two weeks after arriving I was assigned to teach the adult’s class and from the first day I found how little collaborator their members were. Whenever handed someone a note with a reference of scripture to read when I indicated this person claimed to have lost it and if I asked anyone to read it in the very moment I needed most would claimed not having their glasses with them. Some of them would tell me, after claiming lost the note or left glasses at home, “...tell me the reference sister, I know it” and when they saw me searching for it in the book looked at me like I did not know any doctrine. They made me think it was common among them to memorize the Holy Scriptures and even when a doctrine teacher must read scriptures from the book I began to think I should memorize them like they did or would never gain their respect.
Finally one day, as I went to visit a sick person with another sister she asked me how I felt in my new ward and I was honest about it. She laughed and said “they don’t want to be mean sister, they are illiterate and feel ashamed of it so they don’t attend to literacy classes in the church and have their grandchildren to read them the Scriptures again and again until they learn them reference by reference.” What a great challenge! How to tell someone I know you cannot read and I have enrolled you in a course to learn it? I chose to memorize the Scriptures and adapt to the circumstances which ended up being a blessing in my life because sometime after that our leaders demanded that to seminary teachers and I had already walked my own mile, but these families come back to my mind every once I hear a leader speak of humility or pride. Pride that prevents us of letting others help us when we need, the humbleness to admit that we need help.
Many of our problems in life would be easily solved just with saying I need your help to solve this or maybe teach me how to do this but there are families which closed doors starve for fear of being confused with beggars and people losing affection from others for not daring to say I'm guilty and feel sorry. Most of what we call honor is nothing but pride and almost all those virtues that we believe people attribute us have not even been noticed by them. Rarely we really have the place we think we have in the hearts of others and letting the river swept us away so that nobody notices we have trouble to swim is worse than silly, STUPID! Honor, that magnificent gift we care of that much is often our main stumbling block.
Honor or pride what a subtle difference!

 


¿Te Has Sentido Perdido Alguna Vez?
Comencé el día sentada, leyendo las escrituras à la par que recordaba momentos en los que me sentí perdida. No, no, no, no amigo no voy a hablar de lo que piensas. Hay muchas maneras de perderse y las escrituras son una de ellas. Claro que esto varia de una nación a otra. Hay países con un amplio sentido religioso en los que las familias leen regularmente las escrituras y asisten a la iglesia frecuentemente y también hay países en los que la gente rara vez lee las Santas Escrituras y solo va a la iglesia cuando se va a casar. Hay religiones en las que sus miembros son fervientes en la fe y el estudio de la doctrina y hay religiones en las que sus miembros son menos fervorosos que en otras iglesias y, dentro de todos esos grupos hay variaciones que tienen que ver con las tradiciones familiares y la cultura de cada familia.
Sea cual sea la religión, nación y cultura podemos ver, a veces, personas que asisten después de mucho tiempo o por primera vez y es obvio en su conducta que no saben manejar las escrituras. Personas para las que una nota pidiéndole que lea algo así como 1Rey3.5-14 o Sal63.1-8  resulta un trabalenguas. Quien nunca leyó las escrituras de manera supervisada puede tal vez no comprender en cual libro debe buscar ni que versículos debe leer. Nada que no pueda solucionar quien esté sentado a su lado con una ligera explicación. Esta clase de personas aprenden pronto como usarlas y llegan a manejarlas con la misma destreza que quien creció haciendo uso de ellas e incluso jugando con ellas a escribir cartas en las que el contenido de la misma se obtiene leyendo frases numeradas de ciertas escrituras que menciona en ella.
Recordé, sin embargo, un lugar en el que viví hace ya largo tiempo. Un par semanas después de haber llegado me asignaron la clase de adultos y desde el primer día comencé a notar lo poco cooperadores que eran sus integrantes. Cada vez que entregaba una nota con alguna referencia de escrituras a alguien para que la leyera cuando yo lo indicara esta persona aseguraba haberla perdido y si lo pedía verbalmente casi todos aseguraban haber dejado en casa sus lentes. Había entre ellos quienes me decían, tras asegurar que perdieron la nota o que se le quedaron los lentes, “…pero dígame la referencia hermana que yo me la se”   y cuando me veían buscando en el libro me miraban con cara de que la que no sabe doctrina soy yo. Ellos me hicieron pensar que era natural entre ellos memorizar los libros canónicos y aun cuando un maestro de doctrina debe leer las escrituras desde el libro comencé a pensar que debía aprenderlas de memoria como ellos o no ganaría su respeto.
Finalmente un día, mientras me dirigía a visitar una persona enferma junto con otra hermana ella me pregunto cómo me sentía en mi nueva unidad y fui sincera al respecto. La hermana rio y me dijo “No quieren ser odiosos contigo hermana, son analfabetas y se avergüenzan de ello así que no asisten a los cursos de alfabetización de la iglesia y hacen que sus nietos les lean las escrituras una y otra vez hasta que las aprenden con puntos y comas.” ¡Qué desafío tan grande! ¿Cómo decirle a alguien se que no sabes leer y te he inscrito en el curso? Elegí memorizar las escrituras y adaptarme a las circunstancias lo cual termino siendo una bendición en mi vida porque pronto las autoridades de área comenzaron a exigir esto a los maestros de seminario y yo ya había recorrido mi propia milla, pero estas familias vuelven a mi memoria cada vez que oigo a algún líder hablar de humildad u orgullo. El orgullo que nos impide dejarnos ayudar cuando lo necesitamos, la humildad de confesar que necesitamos ayuda.
Muchos de nuestros problemas en la vida se resolverían fácilmente con tan solo decir necesito tu ayuda para resolver esto o tal vez enséñame que no sé hacerlo pero hay familias que a puertas cerradas mueren de hambre por temor a ser confundidos con mendigos y personas que pierden el afecto de otros por no atreverse a decir soy culpable y lo siento. La mayor parte de eso que llamamos honor no es más que orgullo y casi todas esas virtudes que creemos que la gente nos atribuye no han sido ni siquiera notadas por ellos. Pocas veces ocupamos en el alma de la gente el lugar que creemos nuestro y dejarse arrastrar por la corriente para que nadie note que nadamos con dificultad es peor que tonto, ¡NECIO! El honor ese sublime don que tanto cuidamos es a menudo nuestra principal piedra de tropiezo.
¡Honor u orgullo que sutil diferencia!

No comments:

Post a Comment